Sunday, May 24, 2009

''This United team will go down in history'', says Cristiano Ronaldo

London, May 24 : Portuguese and Manchester United star striker Cristiano Ronaldo describes club manager Alex Ferguson as a second father to him, and believes the current team will go down in football history as one of the best.

Ronaldo, who has attracted attention of late for his tantrums and his flirtation with Real Madrid, is absolutely confident about Manchester United nailing Barcelona in the Champions League final on Wednesday.

The European and World Player of the Year has chosen the build-up to this week''s epic Champions League showdown in Rome as the moment to pledge his heart, body and soul to Manchester United, reports News of The World.

Ronaldo declares: "This is my home now. I think even when I say my heart is here, people are still going to speak and make things up. But this is where I want to play. We are part of an era that can go down in history for the way we are playing and for the trophies we are winning. The boss believes in this team and so do I. And this is where I want to be. Manchester United is now my house."

Sir Alex Ferguson interrupted his holiday last summer to have a heart-to-heart with Ronaldo as the pressure from Madrid seemed sure to pay dividends. At the time, it was suggested Ronaldo was not happy with Ferguson''s stance. Now, it seems to have strengthened the bond between the two.

Ronaldo explains: "He is two different people and they have both helped me become who I am today. Firstly, he is probably the most knowledgeable football coach in the world. I learn from him every day. No matter how good I become, I know he is a man who will always be able to teach me that little bit more. I don''t get tired of learning from him because I know every bit of advice he gives me will make me a better player. The second person he is, is a father to me. Ever since I joined Manchester United, he has been like a second father to me. And I don''t just respect him, I have the affection for him a child has for his father. When he gives me advice that is non-football, I listen because it will make me a better person."

He explained: "That is the goal, to always get better. And the manager we have here is not the sort of man to say ''right you are good enough now, don''t try and get any better''. He is a winner and he wants all of us to get better and works with us all individually to make sure that happens. If you look at somebody like Ryan Giggs, he keeps working to get better even at his age and he keeps winning. Maybe as you get older your game changes and you have to adapt your style but I don''t think I am quite there yet.”

He recalled: "When I was growing up, Luis Figo was the biggest player in Portugal. Luis was his own player who had belief in himself and that is what he has taught me. When I was 17 and with the national squad, he came up to me after the first training session and said that some of the things I did with a football, he had never seen anybody in the world do before. It is that sort of belief in you that gives you the confidence. I decided then only to have my own style of play. I don''t want to imitate anybody, individuality is everything to me." (ANI)

No comments:

Post a Comment

RECENT POST

Related Posts with Thumbnails