Sunday, September 13, 2009

Elton says he wants to adopt boy

Sir Elton said he and partner David Furnish had often discussed adoption
Sir Elton John has said he wants to adopt a toddler he met during a visit to an orphanage in Ukraine.

The 62-year-old singer had performed at the orphanage, where some of the children's parents had died of Aids.

Sir Elton said during a news conference that he had always rejected the idea of adoption because of his age and his lifestyle of regularly being on tour.

But he said a 14-month-old boy called Lev had "stolen his heart" and forced him to consider a change of mind.

'Wouldn't be fair'

Sir Elton said he and partner David Furnish, 46, were asked whether they thought of adopting.

He said: "David and I have always talked about adoption, David always wanted to adopt a child and I always said 'no' because I am 62 and I think because of the travelling I do and the life I have, maybe it wouldn't be fair for the child.

"What better opportunity to replace someone I lost than to replace him with someone I can give a future to" Sir Elton John.

"But having seen Lev today, I would love to adopt him. I don't know how we do that but he has stolen my heart. And he has stolen David's heart and it would be wonderful if we can have a home. I've changed my mind today."

The singer added that the death of his long-term keyboardist, Guy Babylon, had also influenced his decision.

"Last week I lost one of my best friends; my keyboard player died of a heart attack at 52.

"It broke my heart because he was such a genius and so young and has two wonderful children.

"What better opportunity to replace someone I lost than to replace him with someone I can give a future to."

1 comment:

Post a Comment

RECENT POST

Related Posts with Thumbnails